Monday, April 7, 2014

The Past perfect tense

The Past perfect Tense

we use the past perfect tense when describing an event had happened before an other action in the past. The first action takes the past perfect and, then the second action takes the simple past.
-       The past is before now - one step back.
-       The past perfect is before a time in the past - two steps back.


Ø  Form :
Affirmative
Negative
          interrogative
S + had + Vpast participle + O
Hamid had cleaned the room
S+Had not + Past participle + O.
Hamid Had not cleaned the room
had + S + Past participle +O ?
Had Hamid cleaned the room ?

Ø  Signal words:
-       Before / after
-       As soon as
-       When
-       By the time
-       Already / never / ever
Ø  Examples
-       I had lived in Spain before I moved to USA
-       When  I woke up, my mom had already prepared my breakfast.




0 comments:

Post a Comment